Thursday, March 7, 2013

my big eyes


ronald, my childhood mortal enemy / neighbor / guitar instructor, used to call me "bukaw" (owl) when we were in grade school. he would sneak behind my desk and tease me non-stop. our other classmates joined him, too. that used to make me so mad. i eventually got used to being called "bukaw" until i was in grade six. after grade school, the teasing completely ceased and i totally forgot about it.

until berlin reminded me of the memories that are deeply buried in my kokote. we were talking at the teacher's lounge after work, when she looked at me closely and blurted out, "your eyes are extraordinarily big tonight...like a "bukaw"." before i could say anything, andy also said something about how big my eyes are. ugh! 

we all went to the restroom and faced the mirror in a firing squad. me, andy, berlin, donna and rhea. "mirror, mirror on the wall, who has the biggest eyes of them all?" the answer was obviously "joanna marie"! how can i have the biggest eyes when back in Scandinavia, people usually greeted me with a "ni hao"?!

hmp! the next time someone will say "goodness! what big eyes you have!" to me...i'll borrow the wolf's line..." the better to see you with, dear!"


No comments: