Tuesday, May 10, 2011

simple joy

i wanted to take macko for a walk this morning. the minute that kikay saw me step out of the gate, she screamed at the top of her lungs "masunod ako!!!" before i knew it, kikay was rushing to me, and khael was on his way too, and they dropped by their friends' house to convince them to join us. okay, so much for my planned long and quiet walk with macko.

the kids didn't waste so much time, i've noticed. they were already taking their clothes off as soon as they saw the beach. and even before my feet touched the grayish sand, they were already jumping along with the waves. my own childhood flashed back in my mind as i watched the little kids having fun. their laughter was so pure, that if i close my eyes, i thought i can hold the sound of their amusement in my hand.

as the only girl in the pack, kikay felt left out. but that didn't stop her from finding ways to entertain herself. good enough that there are twigs, stones, rocks, dead corals and leaves that she can play with, when the boys were ignoring her.

the boys on the other hand, were so occupied with treading the rising waves and laughing.

after an hour, i told them that we have to go home. i didn't want them to get sunburned, no! and macko's tongue was about to fall off his mouth.

the trip back to the house took a lot more time than the way to the beach. obviously, the kids didn't want to leave the place yet. they lingered as much as they can. it was dragging but i didn't nag at them. i wanted to give them the luxury of time. that's all i can give them this summer.

No comments: